Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Many people, both young and old, suffer from the sensation of burning in the chest when acid from the stomach flows back up into the eosophagus.
Conventional medicine offers medications, such as proton pump inhibitors (PPI), to suppress stomach acid but this only compounds the problem.
Stomach acid is needed to digest proteins, kill off harmful microbes and the absorption of nutrients such as vitamin B12 and calcium.
Most often people suffering from acid reflux assume they have too much acid so they take an antacid or other prescription medication.
However it is more often than not a sign of insufficient stomach acid, leading to the putrification of food in your GUT and the build up of organic acids which cause the burning symptoms associated with heartburn and acid reflux.
This incomplete digestion of food can lead to complications such as food allergies, as the partially digested proteins cross through the GUT lining into the blood causing the immune system to respond. Bloating, belching, excess gas, bad breath, alternating constipation and diarrhea, sinus congestion, fatigue, osteoporosis and many more disease states can be associated with low stomach acid production.
Food alllergies and parasitic infections are a common cause of acid reflux and heartburn and can be easily identified with Nutrition Response Testing. However there are many other causes too.
To correct the problem you need to restore the ability of the stomach to produce the appropriate amount of hydrochloric acid and eliminate anything preventing healing such as food allergies, infections or nutritional deficiencies.
To see if your level of stomach acid is too low or too high, you can try the apple cider vinegar test below;
The Apple Cider Vinegar Test
If you are experiencing heartburn or acid reflux take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, in a small amount of water;
if the symptoms subside then this suggests insufficient hydrochloric acid production.
If the symptoms are worse or don't disappear then this suggests excess acid production.
To neutralise the burning sensation try a small glass of milk (preferably raw milk), if tolerated, or some bicarbonate of soda in water.